Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Process of Building & Growing a Family

Our final day in Jamaica consisted of a 2-hour drive through the Jamaican countryside to the southern coastline. We visited the Black River, which runs through 44 miles of the country before it empties into the Caribbean Sea. We boarded a river safari and encountered Jamaican wildlife from birds to crocodiles. A few even swam right up to our boat and the river guide discussed how they interact with them in a safe, trainable manner. Following the ride up the river, we visited a baby sanctuary where younger crocodiles are kept to avoid them getting eaten in the river by adults.




 Our afternoon concluded with a drive back to Montego Bay and our farewell dinner at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. It was a great way to bring our week's worth of activities to a close.


Tonight's devotional was very special as it was led by our seniors: Landon Tabor, Mayla McCray, Savanna McKellar, and Grace DeBoer. Between these four students, they have been on the Jamaica mission trip for a total of 12 years!!! I have been blessed by each of them and they concluded the week of devotions with a challenge to grow our Jamaica family when we return to school.


Landon: "After 4 years of being on the Jamaica Mission Team, I have grown so close to everyone who has ever come with our team. I had an incredible 4 years leading with these 4 seniors and I love them all so much. I have told our whole team thank you tonight for making our last trip as memorable as possible. I have grown with all of guys on this trip and consider all of them to be my brothers. Lane helped me beat 2048 and for that I am eternally grateful. I love you all who have helped us with the Jamaica Mission Trip and remember, 'We never have problems, just situations'. "
Mayla: "Tonight we wanted to remind everyone that our mission team is not only a team that serves together but a family that is always there for each other. Family is not an important thing. It’s everything."
Savanna: "The seniors closed out our trip on a fun, united and light-hearted note. This was a great conclusion to a productive trip. I will definitely miss the unique bond that GACS mission teams develop and share."
Grace: "We wanted to end our trip by creating a funny reminder of our tight bond we have formed throughout this incredible week. Whether we are lifting multitudes of children onto our back or hiding in the bus from questionable men, we have stuck together through it all. To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there. I have been so blessed by this group and I am happy to have spent my last year with this family in Jamaica."

No comments:

Post a Comment